The Gack, Sensory Deprivation and Kealan





















Slimed
Yeah, I got slimed this week - Got the Gack, as we say in our house. My husband went to Mexico on business and brought back this way-too-long-lasting souvenir - the flu. I would have preferred a pinata. I guess I was worn-out by the move to the new house, so those opportunistic little monster germs took advantage of my flagging immune system and set-up camp for the week.

I'm feeling much better today, but I missed the Live Earth concert because of those little slimy monsters. My husband, my daughter and her friend, Billy (my replacement) went to Giants Stadium yesterday for the event and had a blast. Sting, The Police, John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, Melissa Ethridge, Bon Jovi, and a gazillion other bands were there to support change in the global climate crisis. While this historic event went on, what did I do? Mostly, I slept. *grumbles under breath at Mexican flu bugs*

Tasteless
A strange result of this flu was my loss of taste. My sinuses were so wacked-out, I couldn't taste anything! Funny thing, taste, you REALLY don't appreciate how wonderful it is until you don't have it. Yeah, I know, it's not like losing your sight or your hearing, but it certainly leaves the world strangely flat when a dish of strawberry ice cream is simply cold and smoothly textured, minus the sweet taste bud tones of red jeweled sweetness.

It left me thinking about sensory deprivation. Rather than extreme pain, just imagine the slow deliberate erosion of your senses - being stripped one sensory delight at a time including touch and movement. It got me to thinking that we're so tied into our senses as human beings that without them in this reality, what are we? If we had only one sense left, what would living be like? And if that sense was taken away, then what? Seems to me that if the person was still sane and physically viable, it would be like being imprisoned in the vessel of your body. What would the mind do? Are there diseases like this? I know, I'm weird, but it is a strange thought to consider. I've got a story idea burning a hole in my brain right now, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Elixir of KPB
One of the things that has certainly been good medicine for me during my Gack stint, is a little dose of Kealan. Kealan Patrick Burke, Bram Stoker Award winning author and editor, will be Second Tuesday Guest Blogger this week at The Horror Library Blog-O-Rama. Besides being awfully pretty, he's a marvelous writer. As the HLBOR blog wrangler, I've had the pleasure of sneak-peaking his essay and it's excellent and a subject close to my heart (or hate), at the moment. So, be sure to stop-by the HL Blog-O-Rama on Tuesday to read Kealan's essay, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION, and while you're at it, check-out KPB's list of excellent books and offerings at his website - www.kealanpatrickburke.com . And if you still haven't had your fill of yummy Kealan goodness, you'll also find him at MySpace.

BBT Thursdays
Btw, I'm starting a new blogging gig this week over at Blood, Blade and Thruster Magazine. I'll be blogging the horror beat there on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month. BBT is a fine mag and a very busy blogging venue, so I hope you'll stop by and visit me on my maiden BBT blog voyage this Thursday. I suspect you'll recognize the title of my blog, Wickedly Yours. I'll try to remember to post a link for you, in case you want to check it out.

Now, be sure to thank your taste buds today, and by all means, avoid the evil GACK! *wink*

Wickedly Yours,
Fran Friel

Note: The fabulous slime doll photo is from Kyozotchy at Flickr. Stop by and send them some slimy love.

Comments